And here are the books which I rated with 5 stars, making them the best reads of the year for me:
- Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell - What is the ocean but a multitude of drops?
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - So really, is Rochester a "bangable" literary character? :P
- A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire #3) by George R.R. Martin - The Red Wedding. Made me so mad, I woke my husband at 1 am just to say how pissed off I was.
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman - A crash course on deities and mythologies.
- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes - So heartbreaking, I shed tears.
- Ghostwritten by David Mitchell - My second Mitchell five-starrer.
- The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro - After rereading it, I thought it deserved 5 stars.
- Black Swan Green by David Mitchell - My third Mitchell five-starrer.
- The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - Eternal flame.
- number9dream by David Mitchell - My fourth Mitchell five-starrer.
- The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell - The fifth and last book by Mitchell. How can I not give this 5 stars as well?
- Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman - I love the short stories in this one!
With such awesome reads in 2012, I am now looking forward to an equally good reading year in 2013! Who cares about the Mayans and their calendar? :P